Saturday, September 10, 2011

Macaroni and Rarebit

(about 3 servings)


Rarebit is one of the few recipes I remember from the home ec class I took while I was still in junior high school. I loved that recipe  and it wasn't until several years later I realised it was supposed to have dark ale in it; I had been taught to make it with milk.

The traditional rarebit is served over lightly browned toast which is finished under the broiler. Sometimes I like to combine mine with macaroni and bake it, like mac and cheese.



1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp flour
1 tsp Coleman's Mustard Powder
1/4 tsp paprika
2 pinches cayenne
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 - 1 1/2 cups dark ale (I add more beer if I'm combining it with macaroni)
1/2 lb sharp cheddar cheese, grated (about 2 cups)
1/2 lb dry macaroni, cooked in lightly salted water until it's al dente
2-3 tbsp bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 350° F. Butter an 8 inch square baking dish and set aside.

Melt the butter in a saucepan and stir in the flour. Cook until the mixture takes on a light golden hue.

Add the mustard powder, paprika, cayenne and Worcestershire sauce. Slowly whisk in the ale. Cook for about 3 minutes.


Add the cheese in small amounts, stirring between each batch until the cheese has melted.

Remove from heat and pour over macaroni. Transfer the pasta into the buttered baking dish. Sprinkle the bread crumbs evenly over the top. Bake for about 25 minutes or until bubbling hot.





1 comment:

Torviewtoronto said...

colourful looking pasta wonderfully done

Post a Comment