Sunday, October 30, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookies


(4 dozen)


There are times like today when I find myself wondering if I'd be able to follow a recipe,even if my life depended on it. I started to follow the recipe on the back of a package of chocolate chips, but I wanted to use only half the amount of sugar listed. I knew that less sugar often results in cookies which are rather cake-like.

It wasn't long before I tossed the package aside and began experimenting yet once again. This morning I decided to brown the butter first, but I didn’t have the patience to wait for it to cool because I wanted these cookies with my second cup of coffee. I ended up combining the ingredients in an unorthodox manner and although this batch turned out better than the last, they still weren’t quite what I wanted. They were ok; not too sweet.. crispy edges, soft centres, but… too thick for my liking.


1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
pinch of salt
1 tbsp cold milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup unbleached flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 large egg, slightly beaten
1 cup chocolate chips

Brown the butter in a small saucepan until it's a medium brown colour taking care it doesn't burn. Pour it into a glass mixing bowl immediately to prevent it from browning further.

Preheat oven to 400°F.


Stir the brown sugar and salt into the butter and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Stir in the milk and vanilla extract.

Add the flour and sprinkle the baking soda evenly over the surface, then stir the mixture until it's combined. Stir in the egg and 1/2 cup of chocolate chips. Add the second half of the chocolate chips and stir those into the batter (these might not melt as much as the first half did).

Place tablespoonfuls of batter onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment or a silicone mat, spacing them about 1 1/2 inches apart. Flatten them slightly.


Bake for about 7-10 minutes or until the edges have browned and the centres are still soft. Cool on the cookie sheet before removing.

3 comments:

Sue/the view from great island said...

I admire you for getting creative and not settling. The cookies look really good, just the kind of crackly texture I love in a chocolate cookie. The brown butter sounds really interesting, I'll have to take your lead and experiment with it.

Torviewtoronto said...

yummy looking cookies :)

Gerlinde in Dallas said...

Thanks!

Post a Comment