Saturday, November 5, 2011

Teriyaki Salmon for One

The salmon looks huge because I like to eat off salad plates.

A month or so ago, I purchased a couple of tubes of organic minced garlic and minced ginger. They kept really well in the refrigerator and were very handy to use. I ran out a few days ago and promptly replaced them. I still buy whole heads of garlic for when I need to use more than one clove, but these prepared tubes are fantastic for when I need just a small amount.. and no more leftover shrivelled ginger in the refrigerator!


This dish was quite easy to prepare. I marinated the salmon in the teriyaki sauce this morning for a few hours, then broiled it for lunch. I had it with leftover rice from last evening. It was delicious!


2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp Mirin (sweet Japanese rice wine)
2 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp minced ginger
6-7 oz salmon
1/4 tsp cornstarch
sliced green onion for garnish (optional)

In a small bowl combine the soy sauce, Mirin, brown sugar, lemon juice, sesame oil, garlic and ginger. Stir until the sugar has dissolved.


Wash the salmon in cold water, then place it into the bowl with the sauce, skin side up (if it has skin). Cover with plastic wrap and leave the salmon to marinate 3-4 hours.

Preheat oven to 375°F. making sure you have a rack in the closest position to the broiler.

Remove the salmon and place into a small baking dish, skin side down.

Mix the cornstarch into the teriyaki sauce until smooth, then pour it over the salmon.


When the oven is hot, turn on the broiler and position the salmon underneath. I use a small convection oven with the broiler about 4-5 inches above the rack in the highest position. The salmon's thickest part was about 1 1/2 inches, and it took about 7 minutes until done. You want to take care not to overcook the salmon as it will become dry. It's best to err on the underdone side because you can always pop it back underneath the broiler for another minute or two. When it's done, the flesh should part easily and still be very moist.

Sprinkle with the sliced green onion if using and spoon the teriyaki sauce over the salmon.

2 comments:

3LittleMonkeys said...

Oh! I am going to have to get the ginger in the tube. I keep ginger root in my freezer. But sometimes I don't feel like getting it out.

Gerlinde in Dallas said...

I have fallen in love with this product. I didn't know you could keep fresh ginger in the freezer. I always kept mine in the refrigerator and was terribly disappointed if it was too dry when I got around to needing it.

Post a Comment