Saturday, April 21, 2012

Shirataki (Tofu Noodles) with Vegetables

(2 servings)



This has been an unusually hectic week for me. My beloved 17 year old BMW 318ti finally died. Catastrophic engine failure, whatever that means.  There was fuel all over the engine compartment and no pressure where it was supposed to be. The entire engine needed to be replaced. It only had 68K miles! It's the age of the car and the Texas heat, I'm told. The mechanic suggested I look for a new car which is exactly what I did after work this week. I've settled on a Mini Cooper, but they only have two cars available with a manual transmission in the colour I want (Ice Blue). I will have to wait another two weeks or so before one's here in Dallas. In the meanwhile I still have to figure out what to do with my old clunker, but there's finally a light at the end of the tunnel!

I have done almost no cooking this week. They fed me lunch at work all week for which I was extremely grateful. I made this today with a few things I found in my refrigerator. It came together in about 12-15 minutes. You can swap out any of the vegetables for asparagus, squash, beans, peas, or whatever you have on hand and like.

This delicious meal is quite low in carbs and calories thanks to the Shirataki noodles. They are made out of soybeans and are only 20 calories per serving.

1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp sesame oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, bite size slices
1 1/2 cups broccoli florets
2 large mushrooms
1/3 cup water
3 tbsp tamari or gluten-free soy sauce
2 tbsp rice wine
1 tbsp smooth peanut butter
1 1/2 tsp minced fresh ginger
1 tsp agave nectar
1/4-1 tsp hot sauce, to taste
2 tbsp corn starch
1 8 oz pkg shirataki noodles, rinsed and parboiled for 2 minutes
1 green onion, sliced

Heat the olive and sesame oils in a small wok over medium heat. Add the garlic and fry for about 30 seconds, then add the bell pepper, broccoli and mushrooms. Stir the vegetables to coat evenly with the oils and garlic, then add the water. Cover the wok and steam the vegetables for about 3-5 minutes, depending on how crispy you like them.


Meanwhile combine the tamari, rice wine, peanut butter, ginger, agave nectar, hot sauce and cornstarch. Stir until the mixture is lump free.

Remove the lid from the wok and stir in the tamari sauce mixture. Stir until the sauce thickens.

Serve the vegetables with the drained tofu noodles and sprinkle with the sliced green onion.



6 comments:

Sunday Morning Banana Pancakes said...

Bummer about your car - that kind of news never makes for a good week.

Love the combination of veggies with the noodles- I have a bag sitting in my fridge I need to use soon!

Laura said...

Too bad about your car although a Mini Cooper is a very nice car too, but still...

Like the recipe you shared this time, it looks very good!

Gerlinde in Dallas said...

Thanks, both of you. I donated the remains of my car to "Cars for Breast Cancer". They will try to either get it running again or dismantle it to sell the parts.

sheils said...

So sorry to hear about your car. How wonderful that you donated to "Cars for Breast Cancer"
Your Shirataki With Vegetable recipe is so magnificent..I like to use the Miracle Noodle Shirataki angel hair which doesn't have any tofu and is 0 calories..I also liked your idea of using all the veggies available in the refrig. makes for a colorful healthy array and so much fun. You make it seem so easy for your gourmet dish. Thank you for sharing it:)

Gerlinde in Dallas said...

Several people have mentioned the Miracle Noodles. I will give those a try when I'm through my little stash of Tofu Shirataki. I bought a bunch of those on sale at an asian supermarket recently. :)

Shirataki Noodles said...

Looking awesome...can't wait more to have this dish !!

Post a Comment