Sunday, April 29, 2012

Spaghetti with Red Bell Pepper & Egg

(2 servings)


When I was a child I didn't care for bell peppers, especially the green ones. These days I still don't really care for green peppers although occasionally I'll add one to a dish for it's colour. Red bell peppers are another story. Over the years I have fallen in love with them. They are delightful, raw, roasted, or cooked. I usually have at least one or two of them in my crisper.

Today I combined them with garlic, onion, goat cheese and egg which I served over spaghetti. This simple dish was delicious!

1 1/2 tsp olive oil
2 small cloves garlic, minced
1/2 large yellow onion, chopped or sliced
1 1/2 red bell peppers, washed, seeded and chopped
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
small handful fresh parsley, chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 tbsp water
3 tbsp goat cheese crumbles
2 eggs

about 4-6 oz dry spaghetti

Heat the oil in a skillet and add the garlic. Fry for about a minute then stir in the onion. Lower the heat a touch if needed and saute the onions until they are translucent.

Add the bell peppers and vinegar. Cover the skillet with a lid, set the heat to low and cook for about 20 minutes or until the peppers are to your liking. At 20 minutes mine were soft, but still a bit crisp in the centres.

While the bell peppers are cooking, bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil and drop in the spaghetti. Cook until it's al dente. Rinse the pasta to keep it from sticking.


Stir the parsley, salt and pepper into the red pepper mixture. Add the water. Sprinkle the goat cheese over the top. Drop the two raw eggs onto the vegetable mixture.  I like to grind additional black pepper over the eggs. Cover the skillet again, raise the heat a touch; to about medium-low and cook the eggs for 4-7 minutes, depending on how well done or runny you like them.

Divide the spaghetti between two plates and top each with an egg and the vegetable mixture.

3 comments:

Sue/the view from great island said...

This is such an interesting and beautiful dish. Red peppers are by far the best, I agree.

Gerlinde in Dallas said...

Thanks! I rarely add eggs to something as I did here. They were quite nice with the peppers.

Anonymous said...

nice idea.. thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment