Sunday, June 10, 2012

Garlicky Wine Cream Sauce and Spaghetti

2 servings)


Last night I prepped a few things for today, but I'm feeling lazy. I carefully wrapped everything up (I'll deal with them tomorrow), and took a quick look through my refrigerator. I'm one of those people who always has a bottle of corked wine (often two) in the refrigerator reserved just for cooking. I love how a bland dish can often be transformed into something really interesting after a splash or two of wine. There was garlic, Parmesan cheese and cream as well. Everything I needed for a delicious meal in under 10 minutes.

4-6 oz dry spaghetti, enough for 2 servings
2 tsp olive oil
4-5 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup dry white wine
generous amount of freshly ground black pepper
pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
1/4 cup heavy cream (if you use milk, the sauce might curdle)
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
salt, to taste
a sprig or two of fresh parsley

Bring a pot of lightly salted water to boil and cook the pasta to al dente. While the pasta is cooking, prepare the sauce.

Heat the oil over medium heat in a deep skillet or small wok. Add the garlic and stir for about a minute. Pour in the wine. Stir in the cracked pepper and nutmeg.

Simmer and allow the mixture to reduce to about half. Stir in the cream and cheese. When everything is well combined, taste the sauce and add salt, if needed. Lower the heat and keep warm until the pasta is ready.


Drain the pasta and add to the sauce. Toss until everything is evenly coated.

Divide between two plates. Dust with additional black pepper if desired and sprinkle with parsley.

3 comments:

Laura said...

This sounds wonderful and has all the ingredients in it that I absolutely love! This is definitely something I'll be making on a week night.

Inside a British Mum's Kitchen said...

As far as I'm concerned this is perfect food - simple and utterly delicious - I so agree with you regarding the wine - it makes a world of difference!
mary x

Joanna Skoraczyńska said...

Ok, now I'm getting seriously hungry :-)

Post a Comment