Saturday, September 29, 2012

Gluten Free Pear and Apple Crisp

(6-8 servings)


I never tire of fruit crisps. They are quick and easy to make, and really delicious. You can use almost any fruit or berry you happen to have on hand. The markets are filled with apples and pears at the moment; a winning combination with a touch of cinnamon and ginger.

This crisp is great on its own, but you can always take it up a notch by serving it with ice cream. If there's any leftover, it's quite good the next day for breakfast.

fruit
2 large pears
3 large apples (about 3 lbs fruit altogether)
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
a few pinches of nutmeg

crisp
3/4 cup gluten free rolled oats (not the quick kind)
1/2 cup finely ground almonds
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
5 tbsp cold butter


Wash and cut up the pears and apples into bite sized chunks. I used organic fruit, so I left the skins on.

Stir together the sugar, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Sprinkle over the cut up fruit and toss until well combined.

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Butter a 9 inch square baking dish and fill with the fruit mixture. Set aside.


Place all of the topping ingredients into the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Pulse until the topping resembles a crumbled mixture.

Sprinkle the crisp topping evenly over the fruit.

Bake for about 35-45 minutes or until the top has browned evenly and the filling is very hot.

Serve warm or at room temperature.

5 comments:

Inside a British Mum's Kitchen said...

I never get tired of them either and I love your crisp topping - I don't have a problem with gluten but it sounds delicious :))
Mary x

Gerlinde in Dallas said...

I can tolerate gluten as well, but I have friends and family who can't, so I'm often curious to see how something turns out when I make a few adjustments here and there. This was also the first time I tried coconut flour.

Sunday Morning Banana Pancakes said...

I never thought to pair apples and pears together - for some reason I havent seen any local pears out and about which is unusual - I will have to check into that! Love this take on a classic crisp :0

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com said...

That looks incredibly delicious! I love this time of the year for crisps!

Gerlinde in Dallas said...

Thanks! I quite enjoyed it. I might toss in a bit of candied ginger the next time I make this!

Post a Comment