Saturday, February 23, 2013

Stewed Cinnamon Apples

(about 8 servings)


Several weeks ago I downloaded an app for my phone which lists produce rated by the highest and lowest amounts of pesticides. This data was obtained from the USDA and FDA over a span of eight years. Surprisingly conventionally grown apples contain the greatest amounts of pesticides, followed closely by celery and bell peppers.

Those with the lowest amounts of pesticides included onions, sweet corn and pineapple. This list has influenced some of my shopping habits where I'm now including certain conventionally grown produce rather than only selecting organic as I had been for years.

I have also read reports such as the one from NPR last year which suggest I shouldn't be "panicked" about pesticides in general because for the most part the amounts do not exceed the "permissible" amounts, yet somehow that knowledge doesn't entirely comfort me.

1 3/4 cups water
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 cup brown sugar, or to taste
3/4 tsp cinnamon
6 cooking apples peeled, cored and sliced (about 3 lbs)

Combine the water, lemon juice, brown sugar and cinnamon in a large pot and bring to a boil. Stir until the sugar has dissolved.


Add the cut up apples and simmer gently for about 12-15 minutes, stirring from time to time.

Serve warm as a dessert or as a side with grilled pork or poultry.

1 comment:

Inside a British Mum's Kitchen said...

This looks SO delicious - I'd love it on yogurt in the mornings!
Mary x

Post a Comment