Saturday, August 3, 2013

Pineapple Salsa

(about 3 cups)


Fresh pineapples are amazing, yet I often avoid them because they seem like too much work. However, the rare time I bring one home, I'm blown away by how delicious it is.

Earlier this week I hit the market after work and spent a good ten minutes inspecting various pineapples until I found one which seemed just right. A few days on my counter and it would be incredibly sweet and juicy. It was, but I ruined it. I got it into my head to place the slices under the broiler to caramelize them. Despite placing it about 4 inches from the broiler, it took well over 14 minutes to brown (just lightly) and by then the pineapple was cooked through. It lost that amazing fresh quality and seemed more akin to the stuff you get in a can. I was so disappointed with myself. The salsa was still really good; just not memorable. If I hadn't been waiting on the A/C repair-woman to show up, I probably would have run out to look for another pineapple.

The recipe below will not contain the extra broiling step. The salsa will be so much better and you will save a bit of time as well.

1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
3 green onions, sliced
1/2 small red onion, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, diced
2-3 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
1 medium pineapple, cleaned and diced

Combine the olive oil, lime juice, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper in a large bowl.


Add the green onion, red, onion, jalapeno, cilantro and pineapple. Toss gently. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if needed.

Refrigerate for a few hours to allow the flavors to meld.

No comments:

Post a Comment