Sunday, May 24, 2015

Pickled Carrot Sticks With Harissa & Honey



I have adapted this recipe from Epicurious somewhat by decreasing the amount of salt, swapping out the sugar for honey and replacing the dill seeds and garlic cloves with harissa. Last month while I was in LA, I picked up a jar of Moroccan Harissa from Jordan Market on Westwood Blvd. This stuff contains preserved lemon and is delicious!

The original recipe suggests blanching the carrots first. I didn't bother with that. I sliced my carrots a bit thinner and they turned out fine.

1 lb carrots, cleaned and cut into 4 x 1/4 inch sticks
1 cup water
3/4 cup cider vinegar
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp harissa, or to taste
1 tsp salt

Place the carrots into a heatproof and nonreactive bowl. Set aside.


Bring the water, cider vinegar, honey, harissa and salt to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce the heat and simmer for a minute or two. Pour the hot liquid over the carrots and cool, uncovered. The amount of liquid should be adequate as the carrots will shrink slightly as they cool. Add a bit of water, if necessary.

Cover and refrigerate for at least one day before serving. Will keep about one month.

No comments:

Post a Comment