Thursday, May 27, 2010

Siniyeh Bitaheena (Seniyeh); Ground Lamb with Tahini

(about 4-6 servings)


I have lamb once (maybe twice) a year, around this time, in the spring. Usually I make an Indian stew of lamb chunks braised in a sauce made with peppercorns and cardamon pods.

This year I decided to make Siniyeh instead. I had this dish for the first time years ago in Toronto, at the Jerusalem, a restaurant on Eglinton Avenue. After all these years, I still order Siniyeh whenever I return to Toronto for a visit. I love this dish so much, I have never tried anything else on their menu. :)

1 1/2 lbs lamb, ground
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
3 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
2 green onions, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cardamon
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

1 tsp olive oil

2/3 cup tahini
juice from 1 large lemon, about 1/4 cup
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp pine nuts, lightly toasted


Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

In a large bowl, thoroughly combine ground lamb, parsley, mint, onion, garlic, cinnamon, cardamon, salt, and pepper.

Brush a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with the olive oil. Pack the meat mixture evenly in the bottom.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until browned on top. The meat mixture will pull away from the sides.

Combine the tahini, lemon juice and water. Spread that evenly over meat and sprinkle the pine nuts over the sauce. (I have no idea why this time the tahini sauce thickened to a paste-like consistancy after adding the lemon juice and water. Whenever I have made this before, the opposite was the case and I had to pour the tahini mixture over the meat.)

Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F.

Bake another 15-20 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned.

Serve with rice.

4 comments:

Muneeba said...

Ooo, thks for pointing me towards a new Toronto restaurant .. am headed there next month! This dish looks intense and satisfying .. would love to try it.

Gerlinde in Washington said...

Oh, Toronto, how nice! Have a safe trip!

Anonymous said...

It is a very good restaurant, and the food is delicious. If you are ever in Dallas Texas and would like to try Lebanese food, please click on the link below
Arabic Dallas Restaurants

Unknown said...

My favourite dish when I go to Jerusalem Restaurant. Thanks for posting this recipe, I've always wanted to learn how to make it. By the way, try their fried eggplant, it is amazing.

Post a Comment