Saturday, March 26, 2011

Onion Soup

(4 servings)


It's the season for onions here in Texas so I decided to make a pot of soup. I just sprinkle cheese on top before broiling and skip the bread because I dislike how it seems to become soggy regardless how well I toast it beforehand. I'd rather have a nice fresh roll or crusty piece of bread on the side instead.

I had some sherry on hand and decided to give that a try..  I thought it was quite good and will use it again if I happen to have some.

2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
6 large sweet onions, sliced (about 3 3/4 lbs)
4 cups beef broth
3/4 cup dry sherry
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp dried thyme
salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 1/4 cup Gruyere cheese, shredded
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated

fresh crusty rolls or bread for serving

Heat the olive oil in a soup pot and add the garlic. Fry for about a minute.

Lower the heat (I turned it quite low) and add the onions. Stir to coat with the oil and garlic, cover the pot and cook for about 2-3 hours or until the onions have sweat and turned brown.


Pour in the broth, sherry and vinegar. Add the bay leaf and thyme. Simmer, covered for about 30 minutes. Adjust the seasoning with the salt and pepper, if necessary.

Combine the cheeses.

Place 4 oven-proof bowls onto a cookie sheet and ladle the soup into the bowls. Divide and sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top of each bowl.

Broil in the oven for 5-8 minutes or until the tops brown and bubble.

Serve immediately with fresh crusty rolls or bread.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to see you use actual gruyere .

Is it hard to find in the US ?

For me , onion soup is the best excuse to eat massive amounts of molten cheese :P .. shame on me ..

Gerlinde in Washington said...

Gruyere is very easy to find (both imported and domestic)... at least in the larger cities in both the US and Canada..

I can't vouch for smaller towns, as I have never lived in one.

Hungry Native said...

I love French Onion Soup! So easy and delicious! Great photos!!!

Gerlinde in Washington said...

Thanks!

Post a Comment