Monday, April 18, 2011

Braised Pork Loin with Prunes

(3-4 servings)


It's been a few years since I last made a pork roast, and when I came across some great looking small ones at the butcher, I took one home with me.

This recipe creates a nice roast with enough juices to make a small amount of gravy.

I decided to have another go at German bread dumplings which were great with the pork. I will post that recipe separately.



1 1/2 lb lean pork loin roast, trimmed of fat
1 large clove garlic, cut into 6-8 silvers
2 tbsp butter, soft
salt and freshly ground pepper
2-3 sprigs thyme
4-5 dried prunes
1/2 cup dry sherry
1/2 cup strong chicken broth 
1 1/2 cups baby carrots

2-4 tsp blending flour, such as Wondra or Robin Hood

Preheat oven to 350° F.

Remove the string, if any and cut into the roast, but not all the way through. Pierce the meat 6-8 times and insert a garlic sliver into each piercing.


Spread the butter evenly over the surface and sprinkle generously with the salt and pepper. Arrange the thyme and prunes over the surface and carefully close the roast back up.

Tie with the string and place into a small baking vessel.

Combine the sherry and chicken broth and pour over the roast. Arrange the carrots around it.

Bake for about 45-50 minutes. About 20 minutes in, I turned the roast around, and at the end I turned up upright again (fatty side up). Because of this the top hadn't browned, so I broiled it for about 5 minutes.


Remove from the oven and pour off the liquid into a small saucepan. Sprinkle about 2 tsp of blending flour to start and simmer for a few minutes until the gravy thickens. Add a bit more blending flour if you prefer it thicker. Check for seasoning.

Serve the gravy with the roast.

No comments:

Post a Comment