Friday, June 10, 2011

Rice Pudding

(4 servings)


Recently I had a procedure done which left  me eating soft foods for about a week. I made a double batch of this and loved every spoonful.



1/2 cup raw short grained rice, (I used arborio)
3 cups milk
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup raisins

Wash the rice with cold water and place into a saucepan. Add the milk, brown sugar and cardamon. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat. Cook for about 60 minutes (checking and stirring every 10 minutes or so) or until the rice is tender (I like mine to have a slight "bite" to it).

Whisk together the cream, egg and vanilla. Stir in about 2 to 3 tablespoons of the hot rice mixture, then stir everything back into the saucepan. Cook for another 3-5 minutes, stirring all the time. Remove from heat.


Stir in the raisins. The mixture might look a touch runny at this point, but it will thicken up as it cools.

Serve warm or cold.

3 comments:

Sue/the view from great island said...

I loooove rice pudding, dental procedures or not! I recently made a vanilla bean version, which I love. I will try this, the cardamom sounds interesting, thanks!

Gerlinde in Washington said...

I love cardamom.. it's quite good with cinnamon as well.

Torviewtoronto said...

egg is a new addition to me for the rice pudding looks wonderful

Post a Comment