Monday, September 5, 2011

The Ginger People's Chewy Ginger Snaps

Pin It
(about 52 cookies)


I never think of a ginger snap as chewy, but rather as a crispy thin cookie. While I was shopping at World Market, I noticed a recipe on the back of a tin of the Ginger People's, Crystallized Ginger Chips, for "Chewy" Ginger Snaps, and decided to give these a try. I was very excited by the prospect that recipes on the back of containers rarely let you down.

This recipe made darn good cookies, although I did make a few adjustments (in parentheses) after baking two batches (half the recipe) of these. The main change I made was decreasing the amount of sugar because I found them a tad on the sweet side after rolling them in the additional sugar. For whatever reason, both batches of cookies refused to crack nicely for me.

I liked this cookie enough that I'll be making these again.



recipe from the back of a tin of "the Ginger People", Baker's Cut Crystallized Ginger Chips
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, (minus 2 tbsp) 
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 (1) teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
(1/2 tsp fresh lemon zest)
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup [1-1/2 sticks] unsalted butter, softened
1 (reduced to 3/4) cup sugar
1/4 cup dark molasses
1 large egg
3 1/2 oz [1/2 can] Baker's Cut Crystallized Ginger Chips

Instructions: Preheat oven to 375° F.

Sift dry ingredients together in bowl. Set aside.


In a large bowl, mix butter and sugar until light and creamy. Stir in molasses and egg. Add dry ingredients to wet mixture. Mix well. Stir in crystallized ginger chips.

For best results, chill dough one hour.

Form 1-inch balls, weighing 3/4 ounce on kitchen scale. Roll in granulated sugar. Place on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet, 2 inches apart.


Bake 8-10 minutes. Remove while still soft (this is important - I left my first batch in the oven too long - the 2nd batch seemed under baked initially, but they were perfect when cooled) and appear slightly wet in cracks. Let cookies cool on sheet before removing to wire rack.

Makes 3 dozen cookies. (They actually made closer to 4 1/2 dozen cookies - I made 1 inch balls, but didn't bother to weigh them.)

3 comments:

Sashquatch said...

Even if they didnt 'crack properly' they still look goddarn goooorrgeouss :) Ginger snaps are just the best warming cookies and anything with crystallised ginger gets the big thumbs up from me :)

Yasmeen said...

Hi there! I'm so glad you stopped by and followed Wandering Spice so I could find your blog in return. These cookies look delectable. Totally with you on loving chewy cookies, and ginger is among my favorite spices in baking.

Looking forward to learning more about you here :)

Gerlinde in Washington said...

Thanks!

Post a Comment