Sunday, January 29, 2012

Spaghetti with Savory Breadcrumbs

Pin It
(2 servings)


This simple and delicious spaghetti uses very few ingredients, yet it's bursting with flavour.  I usually prepare this dish with no cheese so I'll sometimes pair it up with a nice tomato and mozzarella salad.

This recipe is pretty flexible. On occasion I'll had add red pepper flakes, minced lemon zest, chopped olives or even a bit of grated Parmesan. If you really dislike anchovies in any form then just leave those out and use salt instead.

I have loved anchovies ever since my grandfather introduced me to them when I was 6 years old. My long love affair began when he opened up a tin of anchovy rolled capers; I couldn't get enough of them.

5 oz dried spaghetti
2 tsp butter
1 tbps olive oil
1 large clove garlic, minced
2 tsp anchovy paste
1/2 cup breadcrumbs

1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
freshly ground black pepper

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boil. Add the spaghetti and cook according to the directions on the package; about 5-8 minutes.

In the mean time heat the butter and olive oil in a large skillet. Add the minced garlic and saute for about a minute or until it just begins to brown lightly. Stir in the anchovy paste, and when that's well combined, stir in the breadcrumbs. Lower the heat if necessary, and stirring from time to time saute them until they are an even brown.


Drain the pasta when it's done and add that to the breadcrumbs. Toss until the spaghetti is evenly coated with the breadcrumb mixture.

Divide between two plates. Sprinkle with the parsley and dust with freshly ground black pepper.

Serve.

1 comment:

smbp said...

Your picture of the pasta made me instantly hungry - I really wish I had a bowl right this very minute!

Post a Comment