Sunday, November 18, 2012

Russian Salad

(4 servings)


Russian Salad,  also known as Salad Olivier, was named after the chef who invented it in the 1860's. It has gone through a number of transformations since then, and I doubt the version I like to prepare is anything like the original.

This is a substantial salad, in part because of the addition of the sausage. I often use German Leberkäse, but this time I made it with Schinkenwurst, a kind of ham sausage. I asked the fellow at the deli to cut it into quarter inch slices for me so I could cube it easily later.  I planned on adding petite peas, but I got distracted by a phone call and forgot, lol.

Russian salad keeps well and travels well.

1 lb cooked yukon gold potatoes, cut into small dice
3 hard boiled eggs, cut into small dice
3 medium cooked carrots, cut into small dice
1/2 lb ham sausage or ham, cut into small dice
1 cup frozen petite peas, defrosted and blanched (I planned on adding these, but forgot)
3/4 cup gherkins (sour, not sweet), cut into small dice
2 green onions, sliced
1/3 cup *mayonnaise
1/3 cup *Greek yogurt
1/3 cup *sour cream
small handful fresh dill, chopped
salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste

Place the potatoes, eggs, carrots, sausage, gherkins and onions into a large bowl.

Whisk together the mayonnaise, yogurt and sour cream in a small bowl. *(I use just enough of these three ingredients to bind the salad; feel free to add another tablespoon of each if you prefer more dressing). Stir in the chopped dill.


Add this to the vegetable mixture and toss. Season with salt and pepper as you are tossing until it's to your liking.

Serve, or refrigerate for up to a day or two.

3 comments:

Torviewtoronto said...

colourful healthy salad looks wonderful

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

Originally this salad made of cooked beef, and we put salt and pepper before adding mayonnaise and we never had here any “Greek yogurt”, we do it with mayonnaise or mayonnaise with sour cream. We also always add canned peas into the salad, because frozen peas we have here only few last years, very recently, (and it's still not so popular here) but we do this salad more than half a century, as I remember, may be earlier, but I was not there… Many other ingredients like bell pepper, pineapple pieces, adding chopped parsley, fresh cucumbers, capers. There is sausage, fish, chicken base are available, according to taste and imagination of cook.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivier_salad

Post a Comment