Sunday, March 2, 2014

Fish Coconut Curry

(4 servings)


Don't let the variety of spices discourage you from trying this delicious curry. If you are fortunate enough to live near a Whole Foods, Sprouts or Central Market, they might very well have a spice section in their bulk foods department. In Dallas, it's possible to purchase spices by the spoonful for mere pennies.

Central Market will sometimes even take that extra step and order specific bulk spices for you. I needed lavender for a Coca Cola syrup I was experimenting with last summer. Central Market ordered it and then called me when they had it in stock two weeks later. I was thrilled they were willing to do this when all I needed was two tablespoons of the stuff!

2 tsp coconut oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, inced
1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/8 tsp cayenne, or to taste
14.5oz can diced tomatoes
13.5oz can coconut milk
1/2 - 2 jalapeno peppers, sliced and to taste
salt, if needed
1 lb firm white fish
2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped

Heat the coconut oil in a heavy pot with a tight fitting lid. Add the onion and cook until it's translucent. Adjust the flame as needed to keep the onion from burning.


Stir in the garlic, ginger, garam masala, coriander, cumin, turmeric and cayenne. Cook for a minute or two (until the spices are very fragrant), then stir in the tomatoes, coconut milk and jalapeno pepper. Bring the mixture to a simmer, then reduce the flame to low, cover the pot and cook for about an hour. Taste and add salt, if needed.

Cut the fish into bite sized pieces and add to the curry. Cook for another 3-6 minutes or until the fish is cooked through.  If you cook it too long the fish might begin to flake and fall apart. Remove from heat and sprinkle with the cilantro.

Serve.

10 comments:

Cuisine de Provence said...

I just bought fish gillets and now found your yummy recipe that will be cooked tonight! Merci!

Gerlinde in Washington said...

I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!

Sippity Sup said...

Don't worry about me. I've got all the spices and then some. GREG

Anonymous said...

This sounds and looks just wonderful - LOVE the ingredients - and looking forward to tasting it this weekend!
Mary x

Rosita Vargas said...

OMG amo el pescado se ve muy rico y completo me gustan mucho los ingredientes y el color,abrazos.

Anonymous said...

Made with fish fillets, served on top of cauliflower rice. Then topped with cilantro, and avocado. Delicious!

SneezyChicken50 said...

Tried this last night and found it to be a great 'base' start. I say 'base' because we like our food heavily seasoned so instead of 1 tsp...I did 1 tbl except for turmeric. I then added some GF veggie bouillon to it as well....it was VERY yummy! Fish is a challenge to find variety of ways to enjoy it...but this is a winner for us. A definite 'keeper' in our fish recipe file.

Gerlinde in Washington said...

SneezyChicken, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Unknown said...

Absolutely brilliant recipe loved it

Gerlinde in Washington said...

Sandy, I'm very pleased you enjoyed this recipe!

Post a Comment