Saturday, May 15, 2010

Khao Pod Tod; Thai Corn Patties with Cucumber Sauce

Pin It
 (8-10 patties)


Whenever I go out for Thai food, I try to have these corn patties as an appetizer. Whole Foods had corn on sale this week; 6 ears for $2..   I couldn't resist.

cucumber sauce
3 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 english cucumber, chopped
2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tbsp fresh mint, chopped

Combine the vinegar, fish sauce and sugar, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Stir in the cucumber, cilantro and mint.


corn patties
2 cups corn, about 3-4 ears fresh corn
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1 green onion, chopped
a pinch or two of cayenne, or more to taste
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 medium eggs, slightly beaten
1/3 cup rice flour, 1 tbsp more if needed

oil for frying

Combine all of the patty ingredients in a large bowl.

Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat and add a bit of oil to coat the pan evenly.

Drop a couple of tablespoons of batter per patty and fry until the bottoms are brown; about 2 minutes. Flip carefully and fry the other sides until browned.

Serve immediately with the cucumber sauce.




9 comments:

Dina said...

great vegetarian dish!

Caroline said...

This looks delicious! Corn is so cheap right now, I've been looking for more ways to use it

Deborah Dowd said...

I love corn and I love Thai, so I definitely need to try these!!

Anonymous said...

how is this even thai?
I would add some minced chili pepper to the cucumber salad. true thai food is spicy!

Natalie said...

I've never seen a corn pattie before but it makes complete sense... yours look beautiful... I'll need to give them a try, thanks!

Melody Fury // GourmetFury.com said...

This is a beautiful recipe! I would love for you to enter it to our 8th monthly veggie contest. This month's theme vegetable is corn!

More details: http://tiny.cc/ikije

Have a great day :)

polwig said...

My kids love corn fritters but I think they needed something more defined flavored wise.

KelliSue Kolz said...

My kids really this. I used 1/2 white flour and 1/2 cornstarch because I didn't have any rice flour. The cucumber salad with the basil and cilantro was excellent with them. I added some matchstick carrot juliennes with the cukes to make it a little larger for my big crew.

They went very well with http://theculinarychronicles.com/2010/08/20/bun-th%E1%BB%8Bt-n%C6%B0%E1%BB%9Bng-vietnamese-grilled-pork-over-vermicelli-noodles/

for our Pan-Asia feast today. Thank you for your recipe. I did giggle over the comment that these couldn't be Thai because all Thai food must be hot and spicy. I'd think Khao pod tod would be a clue they were Thai inspired. PS we grow corn, so I can't wait to try it with fresh -- today I used frozen corn, thawed.

Gerlinde in Washington said...

KelliSue, I'm very pleased you enjoyed them!

Post a Comment