Saturday, January 16, 2010

Fish Stew

(4 servings)


I'm very fortunate to live near a Whole Foods with a bulk food section. This allows me to purchase my spices in small amounts as I use them.

2 tsp olive or canola oil
1 small onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tbsp Hungarian sweet paprika
1 tsp Hungarian hot paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper 
1 red bell pepper, chopped (seeds removed)
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup couscous 
1 1/2 lbs tilapia fillets, cut into chunks or any moderately firm white fish
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped

1 lemon or lime, quartered

Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and saute for a minute or two. Stir in the paprikas, cumin, ginger, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Stir another minute or until the aroma intensifies.

Add the bell pepper, diced tomatoes, wine, water and couscous. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the peppers have softened. You may need to stir it once or twice, as the mixture will thicken a bit.

Uncover and add the fish. Simmer for about 3-5 minutes or until the fish is done and flakes. Stir in the cilantro. Adjust the seasoning, if necessary.

Divide between 4 large soup bowls,  garnish with a lemon or lime wedge.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did this the other night and it was fabulous! In fact, I am doing it again tomorrow night and my partner is not keen on couscous so I didn't tell him it was in there - and he raved about the stew! Haha! Thanks so much for posting this!
Lucy from Spain

Gerlinde in Washington said...

Thanks! I think some recipes call for ground nuts to thicken this type of stew; I've always added couscous instead.

Post a Comment