Thursday, April 22, 2010

Smoked Paprika Cheese Spread

(about 1 cup)


Last year my sister sent me a tin of Spanish smoked paprika. I had never tried it before, but I loved it immediately.

This past year I've experimented a bit with it, trying it out in various dishes. It's rather nice in this cheese spread. The hint of cinnamon seems to intensify the smokiness and the tiny amount of cayenne gives just a hint of heat on the back of your tongue.

Sometimes I add a bit more lemon juice or capers if I'm in the mood for this to be slightly more tart; it's very nice either way.

8 oz neufchatel cheese
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 clove garlic
1 tbsp smoked paprika
1/8 tsp cinnamon
a pinch or two of cayenne
salt to taste

1 tbsp capers
1 tbsp green onions, sliced

Place everything except the capers and onions into the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth. Adjust the seasoning, if necessary.

Scrape down the sides. Add the capers and onions and pulse just until they are combined.

No comments:

Post a Comment