Saturday, May 1, 2010

No Knead Bread, Kalamata Olive Sourdough

(about 1 lb loaf)


I started this dough the same day I finished my first no knead loaf, and changed up a few ingredients. I couldn't wait to try this with Kalamata olives. The occasional olive bread I bring home costs a small fortune, and I had the feeling this would be as good if not better.

It was as good, but with more olives!

Adapted from Jim Lahey's Recipe
1/3 cup organic rye flour
2 2/3 - 3 1/3 cups unbleached flour
1/4 tsp dry yeast
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups spring water, aprox.
2 tbsp olive oil
2/3 cup Kalamata olives, pitted

Combine the rye flour, 2 2/3 cups unbleached flour, yeast and salt. Make a well in the centre and add the water and olive oil. Stir until well combined. Cover the top with a cheese cloth and set in a draft free place in a room with a temperature of about 70-75°F. for about 8-12 hours.

The dough should have risen and look bubbly. Stir it down, cover and leave at room temperature for another 8-12 hours.
 
Repeat this process for 2-3 days, twice a day. The longer you delay baking this dough the more sour it will become. I went to three days this time, and loved the result.
 
On the night before you plan to bake your loaf. Add a couple of tablespoons of water and up to 1/2 cup of flour (depending on how firm a dough you would like) . Stir this in well to combine. I thought this might help "feed" the dough. I wasn't sure if that was necessary, but I didn't think it would hurt and I wanted a slightly firmer dough than I had on my first attempt. I really ought to purchase Jim Lahey's book; I imagine it might be a good read.

Sprinkle a small amount of flour onto a piece of baking parchment paper. I placed my paper into a bowl. Add the Kalamata olives to the dough and stir down. The dough will probably have a pronounced sourdough smell at this point.

Sprinkle a small amount of flour over the dough. Flour your hands and place the dough onto the parchment paper. Shape the dough into a ball, tucking the ends underneath it. Cover it with the cheesecloth and allow to rise 2-3 hours, or until it looks like it's doubled in volume.

Place a Le Creuset cast iron dutch oven (this seems to work best from what I've read) into your oven and turn on the heat to 450-500°F. (My Breville counter top convection oven will only allow me to go to 450°, but the bread turned out fine).

When the pot is good and hot, carefully pull it out and place the parchment paper with the dough into pot and cover with lid. Bake for about 25 minutes.

Remove the lid and bake an additional 15-20 minutes or until the crust is a nice brown OR turn on the broiler for 3-5 minutes until the top of the loaf is nicely browned; this is what I did. In all honesty, I was a bit worried baking it any longer than that because the loaf seemed done to me, and I was concerned about drying it out.

Allow the loaf to cool at least an hour before cutting into it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I make this also from a recipe out of Cooks Illustrated. Try adding a little asiago or parmesan cheese to the recipe - yum!

Gerlinde in Washington said...

That sounds good.. I'll give it a try the next time I make this... thanks!

Post a Comment