Saturday, October 23, 2010

Pork Schnitzel

(4 servings)


The last time I made schnitzel, my mother told me my grandmother's crust was always nice and bubbly looking because she added water to the hot oil and steamed them as they were frying. Well, I decided to give that a try.. what a mistake, lol.

I added about 2-3 tbsp water to the hot oil and threw a lid on right away. I could hear the spatter go on for a few minutes.. the lid didn't fit the skillet perfectly, so steam and oil was dripping out around the rim leaving me wondering if I was going to have a grease fire on top of my gas range.

When the noise died down, and the excitement passed, I removed the lid and those schnitzel looked the same to me as they always do when I make them. I'll have to let my mother know when she returns from her trip.

4 thin cut boneless pork chops, (about 1 lb)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tbsp flour
2 eggs, beaten
2/3 cup bread crumbs
oil for frying
sliced lemon for garnish


Heat about 1 inch of oil in a skillet to about 360° F.

In the meantime pound the pork chops thin with a meat hammer. Sprinkle them with salt and grind a bit of pepper over them. Sprinkle the flour evenly over a plate and dredge each piece of meat through it, both sides.

Place the egg in a second dish and coat each piece of meat, both sides.

Finally, sprinkle the bread crumbs evenly on a plate and coat both sides of the meat with those.

When the oil is hot enough, fry each piece for 1-2 minutes on each side. Drain them on paper towels, then serve with lemon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is exaclty how I make it. It is so easy and delicious. I do have my variations I sometimes skip the bread crumbs; substitute chicken instead of pork; with chicken I also bake it in the oven instead of frying it and add diced tomatoes and cheese on top. yum

Post a Comment