Saturday, June 11, 2011

Pearl Couscous Salad

(2 servings)


I used to live next door to a Moroccan student from France. She invited me for dinner one night and served me the most amazing couscous with chicken and various vegetables. It was mildly hot, very fragrant and sweetened a touch with raisins. I have never forgotten that wonderful meal which I'm inclined to think about whenever I prepare anything with couscous.

This is the first time I've tried pearl couscous, also known as Israeli Couscous. It's different from the light and fluffy couscous I have become accustomed to. The cooking time was a bit longer and the this couscous was slightly chewy. I loved it in this salad.



2 tsp olive oil 
1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
2/3 cup pearl couscous
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup cucumber, chopped
10 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
juice from 1/2 a lemon, or to taste
salt and pepper, to taste

Heat the olive oil and add the garlic and the couscous. Fry for a minute or two until the couscous looks lightly toasted.


Add the broth and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and cover the pan.


Cook for 10-12 minutes, or until the liquid has absorbed into the couscous.


Cool the couscous, then break it up gently with a spoon. Place it in a bowl and add the cucumber, tomato and herbs. Squeeze the lemon juice over it and adjust the seasoning with the salt and pepper as you toss everything together.


Serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment