Saturday, June 25, 2011

Tangy Red Coleslaw

(6 servings)


I grabbed 1/2 a red cabbage at the market the other day and was surprised it weighed 2 pounds. It didn't strike me as that large or heavy. I wanted to make this coleslaw to go with some pulled pork, but I didn't like the way the pork turned out. I'll have to experiment a bit more with that before I post anything.

The coleslaw turned out really well.. much better than the last one I made a while ago. This one was colourful as well as nice and tangy.


2 tbsp mayonnaise
2 tbsp plain yogurt
1-2 tbsp apple cider vinegar, to taste
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp poppy seeds
1/2 tsp salt or to taste
1/2 tsp ground mustard seed
1/2 tsp celery seed
freshly ground pepper
2 lbs red cabbage, thinly sliced
2 medium carrots, shredded
2 tbsp chives, chopped 

Whisk together the mayonnaise, yogurt, vinegar, honey, poppy seeds, salt, mustard and pepper in a bowl until well combined. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.


Add the cabbage, carrots and chives and toss until everything is evenly coated with the dressing.

This salad will keep well refrigerated for a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment