Monday, November 7, 2011

Stuffed Acorn Squash

Pin It
(2 servings)


Acorn squash always makes me think about fall even though it's available during the summer as well. It's been a long time since I prepared it, I'm not even sure I had any last year. There was a time I brought some home nearly every week. I used to enjoy it baked with maple syrup and butter.

I still prefer it baked, but it's become a meal. This is how I have been preparing it lately, although occasionally half a sour apple will find it's way into the mixture or a bit of chopped celery for the crunch.. it just depends on what I happen to have on hand.


2 tsp butter
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 tbsp raisins
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground ginger
pinch - 1/8 tsp cayenne
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1/4 cup goat cheese crumbles
1 acorn squash

Melt the butter in a skillet over med-low heat. Add the onions and saute carefully until the onions become translucent and begin to turn a golden brown.

Empty the onions into a small bowl and turn up the heat a bit. Add the pecans and stir them until they begin to brown slightly taking care they don't burn. Add those to the bowl with the onions.

Add the rice, raisins, cinnamon, ginger, cayenne, salt and pepper to the bowl and stir until well combined.

Adjust the seasoning if necessary and add the goat cheese crumbles and toss until combined again. I like to add the cheese last so it doesn't completely melt into the mixture which has been warmed by the onions and pecans.


Preheat oven to 375°F.

Wash the acorn squash, then cut it in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds.

Lightly butter a baking dish with a lid or something large enough to hold the squash which you can cover with aluminum foil.

Divide the rice mixture evenly between the two halves and press it gently into place.. you will have extra filling after the cavities are filled, but just keep stacking that over each half, lightly pressing it into place.

Cover the dish and bake for about 45-60 minutes or until the squash can be easily pierced with a knife.

Serve.

4 comments:

S.A. said...

This looks amazing!! I'll have to try this :)

Gerlinde in Washington said...

Thanks! It's very tasty.

Sue Lovegren said...

Gerlinde,
I've always wanted to do a stuffed squash but somehow had a mental block. You made it sound so easy. When you said to use what you had on hand, that did it for me. I added the celery and apple and also a half of a red bell pepper. (on sale for 50 cents down here....) I didn't have the cheese so added a bit of extra butter and made sure it was well salted plus added some chili powder along with the other spices. Wow! I'm so happy with the way it turned out. So delicious! I can't wait to serve this to my vegetarian daughter who will come home for Spring Break. THANK YOU!! Sue in San Benito.

Gerlinde in Washington said...

Sue, I'm very pleased that worked out for you!

Post a Comment