Friday, November 18, 2011

Turkish Yogurt Soup

(3-4 servings)


This is a very satisfying soup when the cold weather settles in. It's one of the few things I will prepare if I'm not feeling well. The lemon juice is optional although I love lemon in most things and it seems right here.

Occasionally as a variation, I'll add a bit of leftover chopped spinach to this soup.


3 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup rice
1 large egg yolk
2 tsp flour
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (optional)
1 cup plain yogurt
salt and freshly ground black pepper, if necessary
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp dried mint

Bring the broth to a gentle simmer. Add the rice and cook until the rice is tender but slightly firm; about 10-15 minutes.

In a small bowl whisk together the egg yolk and flour and lemon juice, if using. When the mixture is smooth, whisk in the yogurt. Whisk in a few large spoonfuls of the hot broth, then add all of the yogurt mixture to the soup and stir.


Cook for about 5-8  minutes over medium-low heat, taking care not to allow the soup to come to a boil; just allow it to simmer. Check for seasoning and add the salt and pepper, if necessary.

Melt the butter and stir in the mint. Set aside. I do this using the microwave.

Serve the soup in bowls and dot each serving with a bit of the butter and mint mixture.

2 comments:

Erica (Irene) said...

I make this soup all the time...it is my husband's favourite. He is originally from Turkey and he grew up on it.....I've also got use to eating it. Love your perogie recipe b/c i'm a Ukie but I'm from Canada, tried your recipe and it's great Thanks for sharing.:;_

Love your Blog, just came upon it and I'm now follower.

Gerlinde in Washington said...

Thank you very much! I love Turkey (have visited there twice) and it's cuisine.

Post a Comment