Saturday, June 15, 2013

Pickled Eggs & Beets

(12 pickled eggs)


Just this week we saw the temperature hit 99°F (37°C) in Dallas. I actually didn't mind it, the air was relatively dry, there was a slight breeze and it just felt like a nice summer day. If  this trend continued for the next three or four months, I'd be delighted, however in another week or two the breeze will vanish and the temperature will climb and (more or less) remain in the triple digits. Hot enough to break into a sweat walking to your car, hot enough to burn your hands on the steering wheel.

Despite the air conditioned house, I pretty much lose interest in cooking and eating, which trust me in my case isn't a bad thing, lol. I prefer snacking on cold dishes and whenever I'm inclined I'll prepare something along those lines. This week it's pickled eggs and beets. They were considered bar food (sans beets) where I grew up in Alberta. Frequently you'd find a huge jar filled with dozens of eggs next to the cash register. They were often quite rubbery, the result (I suspect) of the ratio of vinegar to water and perhaps the amount of time they had spent up on the bar.

I used medium sized eggs for this, which are more difficult to find (at least here in Dallas) than you might imagine. I would have preferred using small eggs, but I haven't seen those in years. I'm planning on checking out the Dallas Farmer's Market for small eggs next week. I might be pleasantly surprised.

1 3/4 cups water
3 medium raw beets, trimmed, peeled and cut into wedges
1/4 large sweet onion, sliced
12 hard boiled medium eggs, shells removed
1 cup apple cider vinegar
2-3 tbsp sucanat, honey or brown sugar, to taste
1 tbsp whole mustard seeds
9-12 whole peppercorns
1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
a pinch or two ground ginger
a pinch or two allspice
a pinch or two cinnamon
a pinch or two cayenne pepper

Sterilize a large glass jar and lid (about 46oz). Set aside.

Place the water, beets and onion into a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cook the beets until tender; about 10-15 minutes.

Scoop out the beets and onions with a slotted spoon (reserving the cooking liquid). Place them into the sterilized jar alternating them with the eggs.


Add the vinegar, sucanat, mustard seeds, peppercorns, salt, ginger, allspice, cinnamon and cayenne to the saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for about 4-5 minutes.

Pour the hot liquid over the eggs, beets and onion. Add a small amount of water if the liquid doesn't cover the eggs and beets completely. Cover the jar with the sterilized lid and allow to cool.

Refrigerate. Give the jar a gentle shake every day. The eggs and beets will be ready to eat in 4-5 days. They will keep up to a month refrigerated. These eggs are great as a snack or cut up in a salad.

2 comments:

Cuisine de Provence said...

These eggs look soo beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your recipe! I love the fact that you are not using canned beets to start. It seems every recipe I have looked at today does. I am making refrigerator pickled sweet peppers, onions and squash today but wanted eggs too. Thanks again for the recipe. I will be trying my hand at Pickled Eggs and Beets next weekend.

Post a Comment