Sunday, August 11, 2013

Heirloom Tomato Salad with Anchovy Dressing

(4 servings)


Another tomato salad! I love tomatoes. I can eat them everyday, especially when they are at their peak. This time I left them out on the counter to marinate in rather robust anchovy and caper dressing. Life is good!

6-8 anchovy fillets, chopped
1/4 red onion, diced fine
3 tbsp olive oil
2-3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice, to taste
1 heaping tbsp capers
1 small clove garlic, minced
1 tsp lemon zest, minced
a generous amount of freshly cracked pepper (or to taste)
salt, to taste (the anchovies are salty, so be careful)
1 lb heirloom tomatoes
1 tbsp fresh basil or parsley, sliced or chopped

Place the anchovies, onion, olive oil, half the lemon juice, capers, garlic, lemon zest, and pepper into a small bowl. Mix until well combined. Add more lemon juice, if needed and also salt. I usually don't add additional salt, but today I found myself adding a small amount. Set the dressing aside.


Wash the tomatoes and cut into 1/4 inch thick slices. Divide and arrange them onto four salad plates. Sprinkle each with some fresh basil or parsley. I usually use parsley for this, but I didn't have any on hand. So I added the basil instead, which I quite enjoyed in this salad. Use whichever you prefer.

Spoon the dressing evening over the tomatoes. Leave out on the counter for at least 20 minutes to give the flavors a chance to meld.

1 comment:

Sippity Sup said...

Anchovy love. You don't see that on every blog. Terrific! GREG

Post a Comment