Sunday, July 27, 2014

Chunky Fresh Loganberry Coulis

(about 5 cups sauce)

My mum lives very close to a large berry farm on the Olympic Peninsula. You can pick your own or grab boxes of already picked berries. At the moment they have a nice selection of raspberries, blueberries, loganberries and boysenberries.


Last week I headed to the farm for my first time and picked over 7 pounds of loganberries. I hadn't planned on that many and I mistakenly picked the ripest berries. By the time I got them home some had already begun to get mushy.

They weren't going to last much longer, so I washed and froze about two thirds of them. The rest of the loganberries became a tasty coulis. A delicious dessert sauce, great over ice cream, yogurt, crepes or waffles.

6-7 cups fresh loganberries
1/4 -2/3 cup agave syrup or honey, to taste

Pick over the berries and wash them in water.


Place about half of the loganberries into the food processor with 1/4 cup of sweetener to start. Process until you have a sauce. Taste and add more sweetener if the coulis is too tart. Pulse a few more times. Strain the sauce through a sieve, if desired. Loganberries have less seeds than raspberries. I left them in.

Stir in the remaining berries. Leave the whole, or pulse once or twice to chop them up a bit. Store in the refrigerator for a few days or freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment