Saturday, May 21, 2011

Chocolate Gelato

(about 1 quart)


I have been consumed with making gelato all week. I barely finish making one when I'm already thinking about the next.

This chocolate gelato was amazing; rich tasting with a nice smooth texture. I decided to use orange liqueur for this. If you prefer to make yours free of alcohol, then add 2 raw egg whites instead.

2 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup dark cocoa (I used Hershey's Special Dark)
3 tbsp corn starch
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup liqueur or brandy (I used Gran Marnier)

Pour the milk into a saucepan.

Whisk the cocoa and cornstarch into the cream until smooth and add to the milk. Turn on the heat and bring the mixture to a boil. Continue boiling for one minute, whisking the chocolate mixture the entire time.

Remove from heat and add the chocolate chips. Whisk until the chocolate has melted. Set aside to cool. Place into the refrigerator for at least 5 hours or overnight.

Stir in the liqueur and process according to your ice cream manufacturer's directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment