Thursday, May 26, 2011

Mango and Coconut Milk Sorbet

(about 1 quart)


I've always thought of sorbet as milk free and not containing any animal products, however mine does; I added half a teaspoon of gelatin.

Recently a friend was asking me about the cornstarch I used in my grape gelato, and whether I had tried using *gelatin instead. I hadn't, but I was curious to try it out.

The texture of this sorbet was wonderful; it was pretty smooth considering the lower amount of sugar and fat in it. I have never used pectin, but I intend to try that soon. Then this recipe would  be vegetarian.



3-4 mangoes for about 2 cups puree
1 13.5 oz can "lite" coconut milk
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp agave nectar or honey
1/2 tsp powdered *gelatin
1 tbsp fresh lime juice

Peel the mangoes and slice the flesh off the seeds. Place the flesh into the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth.


Combine the mango puree, coconut milk, sugar and agave nectar in a bowl.

Remove about 3/4 cup of this mixture and sprinkle with the gelatin. Let stand about 2 minutes to allow the gelatin to soften.


Heat the mixture just to a boil. Remove from heat and stir for a few minutes to ensure the gelatin has completely dissolved. (I did this using the microwave.)

Stir this mixture back into the mango and coconut milk. Stir in the lime juice. Refrigerate for at least 3 to 4 hours.

Process according to your ice cream manufacturer's directions.

*Gelatin (or similar substance) assists in absorbing some of the free water in the ice cream mix and helps prevent the formation of large crystals in the ice cream. It also gives substance a less watery taste when the ice cream is consumed.

No comments:

Post a Comment