Saturday, September 28, 2013

BJ's Baked Acorn Squash

(4 servings, as a side)


I think the very first time I tried acorn squash I had already left home and was living in Toronto. My mum served a large variety of vegetables including some which back then were relatively unknown; kohlrabi comes to mind. Curiously several squashes were absent from her menu and I've wondered if perhaps they might not have been widely known in Germany during that time. I'll have to ask her about that.

In Toronto, I had a roommate who prepared acorn squash the following way and it was delicious. She sprinkled the cut sides with spices and added modest amounts of butter and maple syrup to the cavities. The result was a flavorful and tasty side of squash.

1 large green acorn squash, about 2lb
salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
several pinches of cinnamon
several pinches of ground ginger
a few pinches of cayenne pepper
4 tsp maple syrup
1 tbsp cold butter, cut into 4 pieces

Preheat oven to 400°F.

Wash the outside of the squash and dry. Cut it in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and small fibres.

Cut the squash in half once again lengthwise, giving you four wedges. Place the the squash, cut side facing up on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (for easier cleanup).


Sprinkle all four wedges evenly with salt, pepper, cinnamon, ginger and cayenne. I added a touch more cinnamon than ginger and a lesser amount of cayenne. Go with your personal preferences.

Add a teaspoon of maple syrup to each cavity as well as one piece of butter.


Bake for about *40-60 minutes or until the squash is tender when pierced with a knife.

* I used a small convection oven which is about 20%-25% faster than a conventional oven; adjust accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment