Sunday, September 22, 2013

Rice With Parsley

(3-4 servings)


For many years fluffy rice eluded me. At some point I wandered down the wrong path thinking I had to rinse the rice in several changes of water first. Yet, I kept ending up with a gloppy mess in my pot. So I stuck to creamy risottos; I always managed to get those right.

One day I just followed the directions on the back of the package which didn't recommend rinsing at all. Duh! I ended up with a pot of perfectly cooked rice. To this day it amazes me I managed to turn something so simple into something so complicated.

2 tsp butter
1 cup raw long grain white rice
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley

Place a pot with a tight fitting lid over a medium flame. Add the butter and when it begins to brown, remove the pot from the stove. Stir in the rice, chicken broth and parsley.


Return the pot to the stove, increase the flame and heat up the mixture. When it just begins to boil, turn the flame to low and cover the pot. Allow to cook undisturbed (no peeking) for 20 minutes.

Turn off the flame. Remove the lid and fluff up the rice with a fork. Cover again and allow to sit another 5 minutes.

Fluff up the rice with a fork once more and serve.

1 comment:

Chocolate Shavings said...

Sounds like a great side dish!

Post a Comment